Cook Time: 45 mins
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dired thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine (optional)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup red lentils, soaked prior
- 1/4 cup walnuts, crushed finely
- 1 can of crushed or diced tomatoes
- 340g egg free, gluten free pasta
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Flat lead parsley or fresh basil to serve
1. Soak the 1 cup of lentils in water for 30 minutes, or up to 60 minutes. While this is soaking, prepare other ingredients (chop onions, garlic and walnuts)
2. Heat a 12-inch deep pan. Add the olive oil, once it starts shimmering add the onions and season with salt. Stirring occasionally, cook onions until golden brown. Add a few spoonfuls of water to deglaze the and continue to soften onions.
3. Add the garlic, thyme and oregano, salt and pepper, stirring frequently for a further 60-90 seconds.
4. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for a further 2-3 minutes to caramelise. If using red wine pour the wine into the pan and deglaze, cooking until the smell of alcohol has burned off and the mixture becomes thick.
5. Pour the stock into the pan combining all ingredients. Add in soaked lentils and walnuts to combine. Heat until the mixture comes back to the boil and then reduce the heat back to a medium-low simmer for 20 minutes, continuing to stir.
6. Add crushed/diced tomatoes and simmer for a further 15-20 minutes or until lentils are tender
7. While this is simmering, bring a large pot of water to the boil, salt generously and then add pasta and cook until al dente.
8. Check bolognese to see if any extra seasonings are required, finish with balsamic vinegar and stir to combine
9. Add freshly cooked pasta to the bolognese, garnish and enjoy! Leftovers can be frozen and eaten at a later date