Greek Orzo Recipe
SERVES 4 - TOTAL TIME 30 MINUTES
- 450 grams ground beef
- 1 large onion diced
- 250 grams tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more if needed
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 heaping teaspoon dried spearmint or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped mint
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup Orzo/Risoni whole wheat or regular pasta is fine
- Grated Romano cheese, fresh chopped mint or parsley, and/or extra-virgin olive oil, for serving optional
1. Brown the ground beef and onion in a large pot over medium-high heat until fully cooked, about 6 minutes.
2. Add the whole can of tomato paste, kosher salt (1 teaspoon), black pepper to taste, ground cinnamon (1/4 teaspoon), and dried spearmint (1 heaping teaspoon).
3. Stir to coat the meat in the tomato paste and spices and cook until tomato paste begins to brown, about two minutes.
4. Add the four cups of water; bring to a boil.
5. Add orzo (1 cup); stir, cover, and simmer on low, stirring occasionally, until orzo is cooked (approximately 20 minutes).
6. Serve with grated Romano cheese and chopped fresh mint or parsley, and a drizzle of olive oil, if desired.